Science at Christ Church
Science is the study of the world around us. Scientists learn about their subject by observing,
describing, and experimenting. Our science curriculum enables our learners to become scientists!
Our Intent for Science
Science is the study of the world around us. Scientists learn about their subject by observing, describing, and experimenting. Our science curriculum enables our learners to become
How we Implement the Science Curriculum
Science is taught as discrete units and lessons where needed to ensure coverage. As we are a one-form primary, Science units are taught on a year rolling programme. This ensures progression
between year groups and guarantees topics are enriched with stimulating and challenging experiences to help our learners secure and extend their scientific knowledge and vocabulary. We believe that these opportunities will ensure that our children are confident, life-long learners who will explore the world around them. At Christ Church our science curriculum aims to:
- Help our children acquire a growing understanding of the nature, processes and
methods of scientific ideas.
- Build on our children’s natural curiosity and developing a scientific approach to
- Encourage open-mindedness, self-assessment, perseverance and developing the
skills of investigating– including: observing, measuring, predicting, hypothesising,
experimenting, communicating, interpreting, explaining and evaluating.
- Develop the use of scientific language, recording and techniques.
Our Science Curriculum
Click here for our Science Curriculum Overview
Skills Progression in Science
Click here for our Skills Progression in Science Document
Our Planned Impact
Throughout their time at Christ Church, our children will preserve and develop their natural sense of curiosity about the world around them. Our curriculum ensures that all learners will be equipped with:
- A wider variety of skills linked to scientific knowledge and
understanding, and scientific enquiry/investigative skills.
- A richer vocabulary which will enable to articulate their
understanding of taught concepts.
- High aspirations, which will see them through to further study, work and a successful adult life.
Science Knowledge Organisers
Our Knowledge Organisers for each subject can be found on the class pages on this website. Click here to access.